Install, web services, authentication modes

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM

When I run the MDSModelImport tool, I get this message:

The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Anonymous'. The authentication header received from the server was 'Negotiate,NTLM'.

In the IIS manager, I can see where the MDS site has the Negotiate and NTLM providers enabled for Windows Authentication. Those setttings seem to be required for the MDS website to work correctly.   If i also add Anonymous Authentication (valid?), i get a different message: There was no endpoint listening at <server address>...

Being a lot closer to SQLServer than web services, I'm not sure where to adjust authentication parameters to make this work correctly.   I suspect I need to start with the source code, mentioned the schemes explicitly, and rebuild it.  There are a few blogs around the web mentioning this error message, but I haven't found anything directly related to MDS.  Maybe my config is sub-optimial. 

Thanks,
Rob

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM

What version of MDS are you using?

Can you share the commandline you are using for mdsmodelimport? 

Are you running it on the same server as the MDS web service?

Can you get to the MDS Service endpoint in Internet Explorer: eg: http://localhost/mds/Service/Service.svc?

David

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Hi David,

Your final question gave the insight - the service endpoint was indeed unreachable. It was very simple to resolve and had nothing to do with the message I was seeing. While the site is named "MDS", it was mapped to the root of this server, and so the command line didn't need the "mds" that I was putting in it.

I was very happy to find this tool on codeplex. I'm prototyping a somewhat non-traditional use of MDS -- for mastering and versioning the 350 seed data tables used to populate our specialty vertical (telecom) software application. MDS was a good fit conceptually, but I knew that the definition for the tables would need to be done programmatically, given the size of the task. Thankfully, mdsimport does what I need.

-Rob

Sent
: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:27 AM
To: robschoedel@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Install, web services, authentication modes [mdsutilities:278763]

What version of MDS are you using?

Can you share the commandline you are using for mdsmodelimport?

Are you running it on the same server as the MDS web service?

Can you get to the MDS Service endpoint in Internet Explorer: eg: http://localhost/mds/Service/Service.svc?

David

Rob Schoedel
Senior Database Administrator
Office 585.924.4110
Email rschoedel@idibilling.com

IDI Billing Solutions 833 Phillips Road, Victor, NY 14564 888.924.4110 www.idibilling.com
Born from the experience of Info Directions, Inc. – We are now IDI Billing Solutions